Thursday 9 February 2012

Timesheets

Timesheets are the pain of many peoples life.  The idea of being managed on a minute by minute basis is not the ideal way of life for many employees.  However, as a Project Manager it is a useful tool to be able to cost your project.  The question to ask in this article is... 

"How do you keep track easily?" 

I keep a note in my notepad of the tasks I need to, or have performed within the day and next to them, I write down a numeric figure to represent the number of hours that I have worked on that particular task / project.  I keep it simple and round the figures to the nearest 15 minutes. 

I have seen that some people keep their electronic timesheets open all day.  I think this take discipline and most people do not seem to be able to do this on a day to day basis.   

I find that if you do not complete the timesheets on a day to day basis, it is very easy for it to become a very difficult task and often people make up times and tasks just to fill their 8 hours of the day.  This of-course has the knock on effect to our project budgets. 

So, I pose the question to you.... "How do you keep track of your day to day timesheet?"

No comments:

Post a Comment