Monday 20 May 2013

End of the first week


I had planned to write an article each day this week, but time was not on my side.  I have been trying to get to grips with understanding the scope of the project and line up meetings with a view to moving this project forward.


At the end of the first week, I can happily look in the mirror and say that progress has been made.  I now have a project charter, which I feel is key to the solid foundation of a project.  The project team and all of the stakeholder now have a reference for the work that needs to be completed.  If scope changes, a change will be made to the project and therefore impacts can be measured against the scope baseline.

This week has been about introductions.  I have met many new people, from the PMO to Technical Managers, from Business Analysts to Directors.  I have been introduced to two difference suppliers, both of which will be working as a single team to deliver a solution for my client.

There have been various kick off meetings to decide the strategy for the project going forward.  Understanding the communication requirements and the Project Governance is one of my key agenda items when starting a new project.  Although the project has not started, we know how we will progress in the long term and in the next week.

Small steps towards the full Project Plan (document – not the WBS) have been made, with a target of completing this next Friday.  If, at the end of two weeks, we have a Communications Plan, Project Governance in place and a Project Plan, I think we will be in a good place.

After 5 days, I can say that I am happy with the new role and look forward to this amazing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment