Monday 17 February 2014

My PDU Plan

To maintain my PMP qualifications, I need to ensure that I continue to maintain consistent learning with regard to Project Management.  I like the idea that people cannot pass the PMI exams and then forget about keeping up to date with learning and modern practices.

In 2012, I became a PMP and in 2013 I passed my RMP exam.  This means that I have earn almost double the required PDU's, on my three year cycle.  I became a PMP, as I did not feel that the Prince2 qualification was the complete Project Management qualifications.  Prince2 is a structure for a specific methodology, however, most corporations have a slightly modified version in place for running their projects.  Most PMOs tweak the Prince2 methodology to suit their needs, which is a guiding principle of Prince2, where projects are "Tailored to the Environment".  However, having the PMP exam increases a Project Managers depth of knowledge, giving options to the project and guiding principles that can be applied in all situations.

The task I set for myself was to earn my PDUs for as little money as possible.  I find it hard to justify spending $700 on a few videos or podcasts, but have a 40 minute commute by train, so I have more than 6 hours a week, sitting on a train with time on my hands - for free. 

So far, I am 1 year and 4 months into my 3 year PDU cycle for my PMP.  I have earned 39 PDUs out of the required 60.  For my RMP cycle, I only require 30 PDUs and I already have earned 16 in the first 10 months of the cycle.

I obtain some free PDUs by simply doing my day job as a Project Manager.  Other free options are as easy as reading the PMI monthly magazines (PMI Network and PMI Today).  These take about an hour of reading and therefore can accrue 1 PDU per month in the self-development category.

I write a blog, which is counted as giving back to others.  Each month, I average 3-4 articles, which takes about 1-2 hours of my time.  Each hour equals 1 PDU, however, I only ever apply for a single PDU per month.  I enjoy my blog, but wish more people would read it, but I am not sure how to increase my community of readers. 

Recently, I have been using the updated version of MS Project 2013.  I thought it was time to actually get some official training to understand how to use all of the features, rather than the standard Gantt chart view.  I spent more than 5 hours watching videos and a further few hours doing examples, so I will be applying for 5 PDUs.

Finally, against all of my principles, I am going to pay for a video / podcast to kick start my learning for the Agile Certified Professional qualification.  As a pre-requisite of taking the exam, you must complete at least 21 hours of certified education related to Agile Project Management.  I have found a few options on-line, but I like Cornelius Fichtner and will purchase his training.  This will give me a certificate of completion at the end, plus the added bonus of an additional 21 PDUs.  This is all for under $300.

I will not find it difficult to earn the required PDUs within the 3 year cycle and finding them for free is relatively easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment